Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Tale of Two Stores

Yesterday we celebrated Micha's Birthday. It is our custom to have a family dinner and an activity inspired by a theme of interest to the celebrant.  This year's theme was Tootsie Pops....hard crunchy outside, soft chewy inside...or you can't judge a book by its cover....or things are not always as they appear. 
The table was decorated with Tootsie Pop topiaries.

Our menu consisted of foods that have one thing on the outside and something else hidden inside:
Beef Wellington, Potato Surprises, spring rolls, and cream filled donuts,

It is admittedly a rather esoteric theme of little interest to you, but helpful in understanding the rest of the tale.

Lindi was in charge of gathering the Tootsie Pops.
She was going to a big store to get them,
 so decided to call ahead to be certain they had Tootsie Pops in stock.

 While still at home she placed the call.
A pleasant enough voice on the other end said,
 "Let me put you on hold."
Not to be deterred
 Lindi did a few things around the house
 still on hold,
walked to the car, drove to the big store,
 still on hold,
waited in the parking lot for several minutes,
still on hold,
walked into the store through the acres of stuff to the candy department,
still on hold,
found the desired Tootsie Pops, waited in line, checked out, returned to the car,
still on hold.

My task, on the other hand was to acquire the cream and jelly filled donuts.
 I would not be going to the big store,
photo

I would be going to John Donut Company or


Johnny's as I like to call it.

Since it was near the end of their day, I called to see if they had filled donuts.

When they answered the phone, I learned it was *beyond* the end of their day....they had closed an hour ago and were just cleaning up. Not only is it impressive that a real human being answered the phone after hours, they actually offered to extend there work day even more while I drove to the shop.  I jumped immediately into the car, drove as quickly as the law allows, ran into Johnny's, enjoyed a pleasant chat with Johnny's son, bought a dozen donuts, and drove home thinking how the cheerful work of these people had brightened my day.
Later
we
enjoyed
every
last
bite
while celebrating

one very dear young man!

As you think about it, don't you want more "Johnny" tales in your life
 and fewer big store tales?

3 comments:

  1. This is great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second time you've posted about these donuts..oh my! I will have to go get some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree totally that Micha is one very dear young man. I'm loving reading your blog, and loving getting to know your Micha.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete