Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bob's Seafood Inc.

314-993-4844
Isabel is having outpatient therapy sessions at Ranken Jordan, a Pediatric Specialty Hospital.  Occasionally I get to be one of the ones who drive her there. (Perhaps the Ranken Jordan story is one to explore sometime, this hospital has patients from all over the world and it was originated right here in St. Louis in 1941 by Mary Ranken Jordan and her husband. The hospital's tradition of skill and compassion is inspirational.)
Welcome to Ranken Jordan
The trek from Maplewood to Maryland Heights isn't a common one for me so it provides great research possibilities.

I've been thinking we need to eat more fish.
 
Since Bob's Seafood is on my route (on Olive just east of I-170) this seems the perfect time to begin. 
Photo
The folks at Bob's do a great job of de-mystifying seafood to my little mid-western mind.
I know fish should be a regular part of a healthy diet, but I admit I'm confused and overwhelmed by it all.  And many of my efforts have been less than tasty.
On my last visit to Bob's Seafood Alli was making bouillabaisse and I was shopping for her.  I was meticulously following directions for just the right amount of just the right seafood.  The wonderful lady behind the counter encouraged me to relax, have a good time.  She explained it in a way this Missouri farm girl could understand: boil some bones, put in a little meat and some vegetables. The name may be fancy and hard to spell but basically it is just soup!  So I went home with a bunch of fish bones and some random fish, and Alli made some perfectly memorable fish stew.
Truly, it was amazing.  That was my first hint that "fresh" makes all the difference.

We've been eating outside a lot lately, what else can you do on a perfect fall day?  We've done all the traditional mid western grill stuff: brats, hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and pork chops. But today I would be driving by Bob's Seafood so why not try fish? They suggested a good and economical fish for cooking over an open fire, not too delicate so it would stay together.  I don't remember the name but they said it tastes like Grouper for less than half the price.
I'm not sure what Grouper tastes like but this couldn't have been more delicious. And everyone loved it! It was quick and easy and yummy. 
With another seafood success I'm thinking Bob's may be the reason. I'm eager to go back  and try again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment