Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Garden Heights Nursery


Yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits.
   -John Keats

Some of you may have read we are trying to get grass to grow in our front yard. Mr. Rudd did a great job getting it started, now we have to keep it going. He said a sprinkler would be a necessity.

Where to find one? I know where I would have gone last year but what about this year?


Garden Heights Nursery is a few blocks from our house.
You probably have a similar local nursery in your neighborhood.
I think these garden shops are lovely. In the midst of busy city commerce they provide a place of beauty.

Of course, they have all manner of plants,



and seeds


and pots to put them in



and cans for watering them.


Or if you want to decorate your patio, how about wind chimes and bird feeders


or Chinese lanterns?


But my mind wanders with the prettiness of it all, will they have water sprinklers?

As I'm driving to Garden Heights I'm thinking I could probably get a less expensive one somewhere else.
But then I think of all this nursery has given our neighborhood. They are
a source of endless information and expertise about all things botanically related and always ready with a list of trustworthy references. They offer an overwhelming variety of healthy plants, and a place of sheer beauty to enjoy each time I drive by.

I'm convinced. If they have sprinklers, it will be worth the few extra dollars.

I ask the helper behind the desk and am directed to the most vibrant array of sprinklers I've ever seen: yellow, purple, red, green, orange. How will I decide? I was expecting one choice: plain aluminum.


I decided on purple and I love it.
As I was checking out a man behind me said "That is a great sprinkler, it will never wear out! I've had mine for years!" Aw! High quality and purple, bonuses I hadn't considered.

So the big question has it helped the grass grow?


Yes, it has!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever;
its loveliness increases.
John Keats


No comments:

Post a Comment