Saturday, July 2, 2011

Olympia Restaurant

1543 McCausland Av
St. Louis, MO 63117
314-781-1299

We were looking for a quiet place to visit, have a light dinner and, of course, someplace I could do some research for the blog.  

Finding an independent restaurant in St. Louis is not hard, the challenge is deciding which one.

 

Since the weather was perfect, there were outside tables, and since Bill and I can always enjoy Greek cuisine,


the Olympia Restaurant in Dogtown was just right.


Bill had a Gyro,


and I had salad. Mmm, look at all that Feta cheese!

  There is a connectedness that happens with shopping small. It seems to me with connectedness comes community, that illusive cure to loneliness everyone seems to be trying to find.

I don't know the owner of the Olympia but in a way I feel like I do.  My friend Bill McK's brother John is good friend of George's, they went to high school together and John even helped to renovate the building before the store opened in 1980.  
I also know George has a very efficient and polite son, because he waited on us this evening.  I like that, too: sons working with fathers.


George Nicholas is Greek, his Mom and Dad are Greek.  When he completed study at Clayton High School George went to Greece to immerse himself in the culture of his families' heritage.
During this time a vision began to take shape: he wanted to bring home to St. Louis the food of the people.  Not fancy restaurant food but meals you might enjoy at table with a local Greek family.

At least, this is what my friend Bill says and I think it is true because that is the sort of connectedness we have in St. Louis and I love that.


George Nicholas' vision took shape in a storefront on McCausland Av. and 31 years later it is still a great place to find homestyle Greek dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment