Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cotton Babies

www.cottonbabies.com
www.bumgenius.com

My neice, Johnna and her husband, Andy are expecting a baby.  With such a reason to celebrate, a party was planned!  
Johnna's friend, Sarah, invited our far flung family for a day of festivity.  From Texas, Arkansas, Illinois, Colorado, and Missouri we all gathered in Nashville to share stories, good food, 
our love,
 and gifts for little Mariam Grace who will be joining us in November.
 With so many of us living in different places Johnna registered with a national chain, a practical solution....but not very local.
What was I to do? 

First of all, I would have to be a bit daring.
Well, not *that* daring, but buying something not on the official registry is a risk, 
I know that.
 Was I prepared for the possible shame of choosing something no one liked?
 I had a little talk with myself, bolstered my confidence, and said, "OK, I can do this! I can boldly step forth and buy an unsanctioned gift for a baby."
Once convinced the rest is just fun.
I decided to check out Cotton Babies. 
The origin of Cotton Babies is a great story in the lore of St. Louis entrepreneurship.  Of course, disposable has become the diaper of choice. However, about 9 years ago an innovative young mother preferred cotton for her baby's behind, but she soon recognized a need to improve the age old diapering routine.  A routine that probably hasn't changed since Walter Hunt invented the safety pin in 1849. 
So this mother, Jennifer Labit, decided to make a better cloth diaper.  She started in her small St. Louis home with an idea, a sewing machine, and $100 of inventory in a little green crate. Today this simple idea has grown to become quite a successful business.
These diapers aren't just diapers they are part of a whole diapering system,
making cloth diapers more economical and as simple to use as paper! 
So much so, many young mothers are recognizing the wisdom of the cloth alternative.
They come with their babies to relax and learn in this cozy, comfortable space.
The folks at Cotton Babies are available to answer all sorts of questions about diapering, breastfeeding, and babies in general. 

But back to Johnna, although she isn't using cloth diapers, I knew the store was filled with all manner of other practical and fun things for babies:
vibrant clothes,
with cute patterns,
vivid colors,
polka dots,
and stripes 
 all made of softest cotton.
But not just clothes,
 a few excellent, award winning toys are abundant, but not overwhelming in number.
(I know it's a little soon for a backpack but are these the cutest bags or what?!)

What to choose for Johnna and Andy's little Mariam?
After having a really good time shopping, these colorful blocks won my vote.

At Cotton Babies you will find great service, everything a baby could possibly need,
and the real bonus,

you'll probably see some adorable babies.

So if there is baby in your life, go pick out something at Cotton Babies, or register for lots of somethings at Cotton Babies and swaddle your little one in wondrous cotton softness.

.





1 comment:

  1. I just got on your blog for the first time and got so excited to see you went to Cotton Babies! I cloth diaper and got all of my first supplies here. They have great high-quality stuff!

    ReplyDelete