Sunday, September 4, 2011

Euclid Records


We haven't been watching many movies at home lately.  With our discovery of the Hi-Pointe Theatre, 
we've remembered the old-style fun of actually going to a motion picture show

with people to share the experience...and real popcorn.

However, tonight Nona and Sarah were coming to our house and we were in the mood for a classic flick.  Since there are no locally owned places to rent a movie, I had wondered what to do when struck by the inevitable yearning for a pizza and movie at home. I wasn't sure how to arrange this cozy night.

.
Well, if I can't rent a movie I could buy one.
This is a sign I've driven by many times.  Records...hmm...they might have DVDs also.
I decided to check it out.


First impressions mean a lot, I love old doors and this was a beautiful door!


 I felt a nostalgic kinship with the thousands of people who have gone in and out of these doors during the last eighty years...all the joys, the sorrows, challenges and longings;  the palms that have grasped these brass handles...old and young, weak and strong, full of hope and full of despair.


OK, I'll admit I'm being a bit dramatic but still...
isn't it a great door? Don't you want to go to 601 Lockwood in Webster Groves, open it and step inside?!


Once inside, you may need some guidance.  I was somewhat overwhelmed by the countless items of visual and aural entertainment. 

 Right away, though, two very nice gentlemen offered to help, Jim and Steve.

Yes, they do have DVDs, neatly and alphabetically arranged in this flip through bin.  

Within 20 minutes I had a stack of 20 small, flat, plastic, rectangular boxes to choose from. Some were $5.00, some were $12.00, most were $8.00.  Some I put back, some I bought to save for gifts, and one I bought for tonight.

A reminiscently good time was had by all.


  St. Louisans will recognize Euclid as a name associated with the Central West End.  
So why is it in Webster Groves?

About 30 years ago a record store on Euclid Av. was owned by Vintage Vinyl, another independently owned St. Louis record store. It was sold to Joe Schwab in 1980 and became Euclid Records. Since then it has had a few locations.  For the last 7 years it has been in the Desoto building on Lockwood in Webster. Neil, helpful manager he is, told me  originally this art-deco style building was a Desoto car dealership.  Desoto manufactured cars from 1928 to 1961. 

From decade to decade, this is what you would have seen in this building:

1930s
1940s
1950s and

Cool!  
But back to today. 
This solid old building now houses Cyrano's Restaurant, Dynamic Personal Fitness, and 
Euclid Records.

Remember those two guys, Steve and Jim, who helped me learn my way around?  They said they've never worked for a more dedicated, hard-working owner than Joe Schwab. In fact, he was down in the basement working while they managed the store upstairs.  They also mentioned, with a smile, that Joe has an outstanding ability to hire very qualified help. 

joeschwabeuclid2.jpg
Oh, and Mr. Schwab loves music and his job.  So how many LP records are in the store?
I read he estimates half a million. Wow!

All in all, I love this new way of getting a movie for home watching. From now on this is what I will  do. For $7.00 we had a quiet evening at home with friends and family *and* supported a locally owned St. Louis business.

Another advantage over renting: If we love the movie, we have a copy to add to our collection of favorites.  If the movie isn't one we want to keep, Ted, another helpful clerk, says I can take it back to Euclid Records and trade it for cash or credit toward the purchase of another item.

What a deal!!!






2 comments:

  1. I noticed yesterday that Videos Unlimited seems to be still open across from Church's Chicken on Manchester. That is locally owned, I believe. We get a lot of our videos from the library, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Euclid Records tonight to get Clayton some videos for his birthday. We got the whole 8th season of NCIS for $19.99. What a deal and it looks brand new. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete